Wednesday 1 May 2013

Lifescouts: Songwriting Badge

Before I get "oh my God, you're so deep" comments may I please just clear up one thing: I was 14 so these 'songs' were in no way lyrical genius, but here's the story.

Every year at our school we'd have something called the Rock Concert. Unique name, I know. Basically it was where all the talented kids would take to the stage and showcase their awesomeness - or rather, big-headedness. Every year they'd have a song writing competition and first prize would win a spot performing at the rock concert and would get to record an album which people could buy on the night.

Don't ask why this idiotic idea came into our minds, but me and a friend (who shall not be named given that we're no longer friends, given several incidents of subsequent bullying before she finally left and stopped making my life hell - but that's another story which I don't think is wise to post over the internet) decided to enter said competition and we met up to brainstorm ideas.

Basically the song we came up with was a similar theme to I'm With You by Avril Lavigne - and before I get sued, the melody and lyrics were completely different - for some reason that's the song I've always thought it was like. Similar premise "Oh I'm so alone, everyone's in couples WAH" - but looking back now these are the same sort of lyrics that Justin Bieber is hated so much for, complaining about relationships and feelings and all that crap - but you're 13 so it doesn't actually matter.

Anyway we recorded that one song and we had a sleepover one evening and well the music just kept on coming - I tell you, we wrote some lame ass songs which I won't go into. But we must have done something right because we came in third.

While this is one of the more embarrassing teenage experiences, I think it's safe to say I have earned my songwriting badge. Now let's never speak of this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment