Monday 11 June 2012

The grown-up test.

It's interesting, in a seminar I sat in recently at uni we had the discussion about when you stop being an adolescent and start being an adult. My personal opinion is that once you're 18, you're an adult. At 18, I was paying rent, buying my own groceries and paying bills - once I moved out of course. Although a common one across my class was that you're not officially a grown-up till your 20. The reason: because 'teen' is no longer in the wording of your age. Interesting.

Today I found this article on 50 things that prove you're a grown-up. These things were put together from a recent study, so I am taking on the challenge of finding out how grown up I really am. How childish.

Mum and Dad no longer make your financial decisions - Once I hit 16 and had a job they stopped doing that. I just got a bollocking the time I drank most of my £600 18th birthday money away in a "YAY I CAN LEGALLY DRINK!!" spree.
Conducting a weekly food shop - Hell yeah, that's the highlight of  my week. Seriously.
Written a will - I have a list of songs I want played at my funeral, but a will, no.
Having children - I'd happily have a baby, I just wouldn't want it to grow into a child. They annoy me. But I like babies.
Being able to cook a meal from scratch - BF's department. I don't cook.
Getting married - I'm engaged. Half way there?
Watching the news - I don't make a point of willingly sitting down and watching it, it's too depressing. But I check the BBC website once a day just to check the world's not ending.
Spending weekends 'just pottering' - This is what most of my weekends consist of.
Carrying spare shopping bags - I don't carry them, but the cupboard under the sink is stuffed with them. Just in case.
Going to bed before 11pm - Most nights. I enjoy sleep.
Always going out in sensible shoes - Not always, but I'll always be the one wearing flats on a night out. Apparently this makes me the sad little virgin girl who doesn't fit in a nightclub that smells of piss and is full of girls who wear belts for skirts and drink away their self respect.
Wearing coats on a night out - Again, I always get it wrong. I'm always the one carrying a coat with me on a night out, and most clubs have nowhere to put coats without them getting stolen or vomited on. Apparently it's much better to go out without a coat and wear your skin-tight Primark dress and heels and end up with hypothermia. But what does that matter? Because you'll be in the warm arms of that guy you were grinding with on the dancefloor while he fingers you round the back of Greggs. Awesome. 
Being able to change a tyre - I can't even do a reverse park. What do you think?

I would do all 50, but I can't be bothered, and lets face it, you don't really want to be reading all that. However, I worked out that I only do 18 of these things on the list. So technically, I'm not even half a grown up. Maybe I'll come back to this list in 5 years time and see what's changed. It's a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment