Monday 4 June 2012

A totes emosh 'fing about how magazines are well reem. Not really.

I've blogged about this topic before, but since doing so, I think things have gotten worse. I may seem hypocritical discussing this, as I'm still an avid reader of 3 well known magazines despite the things that piss me off about them. Actually, at the moment, it's just the one magazine that's been pissing me off - it's name shall remain anonymous, but you may be able to guess if you've read it recently.

Basically, this particular magazine I think has rapidly turned into a bimbo in itself. And I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm not calling anyone who reads it a bimbo, I'm just saying, that this magazine has become that slightly dumb girl who thinks about what's going on in the life of Cheryl Cole and who uses phrases such as "well jel" and "totes amaze" - yes, I'm looking at you, every female from TOWIE.

Let's start by the first few pages: the celebrity news. Just emphazing exactly how important it is that Rihanna eats burgers and how Cheryl looked amazing on the red carpet and how Kim has a totes reem bikini body that we're all wel jel of. Erm, sorry, I have other things to care about, like how there's things happening in the real world. To be honest, if there was a magazine that emphasised what happens in the lives of normal people, celebs would only pick it up to wipe their asses with it, so why should we give a crap about how they're living their lives?

Next we have the best bikini bodies or as I like to call it "look at what you will NEVER look like in a bikini" or the "we're so much hotter than you!" awards. Speaks for itself really. I'm not happy with the fact that my skin is so pale I look like a corpse, and the fact that specs and a bikini will never go well together no matter how hard I try, but I'm not particularly keen on changing that. For one, the amount of sun we get in this country just doesn't make it seem worth it, but it's quite sad that so many of us will be pressured into losing weight when lets face it, you rarely need to, just in order to get a body like one of these. By all means, if that's really what you want, do it, but do it because you want to, not because the media dictates you must.

This next bit I feel was definitely worth a mention - how to have summer sex. I won't go into details, but one suggestion made me laugh out loud and it was this: 'if you have a wedding to go to, use it as an excuse for hotel sex. If you're single, try and have fun with the best man or another guest without worrying about what your housemates or family think of you.' So use a wedding to lower your self respect then? Awesome.

All the fashion pages (and this magazine isn't the only culprit, they all do it) piss me off. Mainly because who has the time or money to keep up with trends? Life is too short worry about how to pull off that optical print trend, and also, I have rent and bills to pay. By all means, if I see something I really like now and again, I'll buy it, but I won't consider whether or not it's 'in' right now, because I don't particularly give a shit.

Then there's horoscopes. As always, bullshit. While I am stubborn, as a Taurus is, I still don't believe the date of my birth affects my personality type. So there.

So there you have it, my take on your average woman's magazine. Like I said, I admit I'm a hypocrite in a sense, because I still read them. Not only because it gave me something to blog about while BF watches The Matrix (which, I might add, is fucked up and I don't even want to attempt to understand it), but also because..well, I don't know why. But I will say one thing: if I could read a magazine that doesn't emphasize all this crap, I would. I look forward to when I can read parenting magazines and all that crap, but for now my typical age range dictates that fashion and celeb magazines are of importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment