Monday 15 July 2013

Cory Monteith 1982-2013

I've always been an out and proud Gleek, so I was gutted when I woke up to the awful news of Cory Monteith's death yesterday. I cannot begin to imagine how devastated his loved ones are at the news, in particular his girlfriend Lea Michele. I spent most of this morning watching my favourite Finchel videos on YouTube, which has inspired me to put together this list of my favourite Finn songs and moments from Glee. 

I'll Stand By You - Season 1 "Ballad"
Finn choosing to sing a ballad to what at the time he thought was his unborn daughter while watching the sonogram was powerful and emotional to watch, especially at the end where his mother discovers him and he breaks down crying.

Jessie's Girl - Season 1 "Laryngitis"
Not only a song that showed off Cory's vocal talents but also showed Finn's feelings for Rachel in a way that really suited the character.

Can't Fight this Feeling - Season 1 "Pilot"
The first song we hear Finn singing in the pilot episode. I couldn't find the actual clip from the episode, but I came across this little gem on YouTube which I've not heard before. Again another example of his talents. Something that will be going on my iPod.

More than a Woman - Season 3 "Saturday Night Glee-ver"
I don't care what anyone says - I genuinely love this episode. I love all the Bee Gees covers and all the cringeworthy dancing and costumes. While Finn was the last character you'd expect to get the high vocals in this number, Cory sings this really well and I just love the whole performance of this song.

We've Got Tonight - Season 4 "I Do"
While I never got the point of Will and Emma's wedding reception going ahead despite her dumping him at the alter, this is one of my favourite songs of season 4. It was nice to see Finchel reunited after their break up with such a good song and it showed that perhaps there was still hope left for all Gleeks' favourite couple.

Take my Breath Away - Season 3 "Prom-a-saurus"
While not one of Finn's songs, I love the moment that him and Rachel have after they're voted prom king and queen. That combined with Quinn standing mid-performance after her accident - brace yourself, as I've never uttered this phrase ever - totes emosh.

Don't Stop Believing - Season 1 "Pilot"
It would have been wrong not to include this classic moment - the first proper New Directions performance. The saddest part is that this was also the last song we see Cory seeing on Glee - so he started and finished with the same song.

Roots Before Branches - Season 3 "Goodbye"
I could not stop crying the first time I saw this. It wasn't just the song either, it was the moment they had in the car before. I couldn't find the clip, but the line "You're going to be a star without me. That's how much I love you" is what gets me every time.


Pretending - Season 2 "Nationals"
I genuinely loved the intensity of this scene. So what if it cost New Directions their place at Nationals? Finchel got back together!

So that's my list of my favourite Finn moments. Watching these makes me realise how Glee will not be the same anymore without Cory. All of us were hoping for a Finchel reunion in season 5 I'm sure, I know I was. I really hope they handle his exit properly, although I have no idea how they'll write it into the show. Either way, it's going to be heartbreaking to watch, and I can't bear to imagine how upsetting it'll be for the rest of the cast and crew to film. I personally think a tribute episode to Cory should be made, with all the best Finn moments, outtakes, all sorts. I don't really know how to end this post, so all I'll say is this: rest in peace, Cory. You will be missed by us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment